6 God(ly) Needs I'm Thankful For
It's delightfully that time of year again! You know the time of year when sales prices are as enticing as a 2nd (maybe 3rd) slice of your Aunt's special peach cobbler. A time where food, family, and gratitute are confluent. Merged together in one place, for hopefully, at least a few hours. And thanks to #thanksgivingwithblackfamilies or #thanksgivingclapback we can hilariously see how it can go awry. But in the essence of the holiday, i've decided to go a slightly different direction and express my thanks. Built on the six needs we all possess, explained best by Tony Robbins.
- I am so thankful for CERTAINTY. The reality is, there aren't many certainties in this transient life, but I've always been able to count on a few things; the love of my Mother and the grace of God. No child can escape the love of God, and I've truly felt that manifested in the love my Mother has always shown. This assurance and security provides the opportunity to take risks confidently. True creativity is built on secure ground, and I'm more than grateful for the sturdy platform of grace I've been provided.
- With my next breath I am just as thankful for SURPRISE. 2015 has been filled with plenty, but what's life without uncertainty? I've truly began to learn our happiness is acquired in the midst of the pursuit; it has no destination. We tend to live for the next this and that, but the shifts of the journey is what we should celebrate most. Our plan for ourselves would be way too boring without God's manipulation. So forgive yourself for not quite understanding God's timing and rest in the fact that, "He [God] may not come when you want him, but he'll be there right on time!"
- Who would I be without the affirmation of my SIGNIFICANCE? I alone cannot provide that feeling. Trust me I've tried! Even with hours and hours of mirror pep talks and self love. It is the people God has strategically placed in our lives that provide this feeling. I am most thankful for these relationships. For the people that cared enough to go out there way, have concern in my dreams, support me, and take interest in my opinion; I'm thankful. People like (of no particular order); Patricia Tyree Miles, Alfred Tyree Jr. & the III, Austin Tyree, Alexia Tyree, Aniya Strader, Clifford Tyree, Lincoln Stephens, Donovan Potter, Andre Rudolph, Dalian Banks, James Lowry, Bob Perez, Jim Walter, Eddie Tyree, Cassandra Lloyd, Rhonda Lloyd, Stacy Lloyd, Mike Lassiter, DV Williams, Jason Campbell, Brandon Stephens, Jeff Beckham, Kristin Williams, Melody Thuston, Ron Stephens aka "Uncle Muscles", Vaughn Stephens, and many more. The older I get the more I realize, no man is an island. His significance is defined not just by his merit, but his connection to the group.
- I am so very thankful for the overwhelming levels of CONNECTION I've built. No matter how weak or strong, I've come to learn I am a part of you as you are of me. I'm grateful for the ability to build with like-minded individuals from the brotherhood of Kappa Alpha Psi, to Miami University, to The Marcus Graham Project, to Fifteen Hertz, to Popz Topz, and now Spike DDB. From the interactions on the basketball court to even old flames that lost their flicker, they have helped me grow.
- As I take inventory of my experiences over the year, I couldn't be more thankful for GROWTH. This year has a been year of "Catch Me If You Can". Moving from Chicago to Dallas, then back to Chicago, and now landing in New York. Some of you reading this still aren't caught up with changes in my life. And in some aspects I haven't either. I don't have it all perfectly together yet, but who's to say we're suppose to? What I do have is hindsight from over a year ago. A time where I was not living a life fulfilled. Now TODAY I stand with a look at me now attitude, ready to give more to this world than before.
- We are not here for ourselves, we are here for the benefit of others. There is no feeling of fulfillment, without the benefit of others. There is no true reward without selfless intent. I've come to find we live in an interdependent world, that is merely a reflection of what we give to it. I am so thankful for the opportunity to CONTRIBUTE. To continue to be a part of something bigger than me is a level of self-actualization I am desperate for. In the micro or the macro we all are given this opportunity. So if you leave with anything from this post, know that our actions are of no consequence without an unselfish concern for others. If we are to be thankful, it is through the contribution of giving. Let this note be a small token of my thanks.